Monday, October 5, 2009

This has been a good week for thrifty treasures

(my good camera had dead batteries, so I had to use the little cheapy camera to take these pics. so you'll understand why they stink. not that I take great pictures with the good camera...)

Between hitting up a schmancy neighborhood community garage sale and a few thrift stores, I got a few cool things for almost no money.

Friday morning I hit up a few sales but didn't find much that I needed/wanted. I did see this pair of nesting tables and pounced on them, even though I knew hubs would roll his eyes and say that we don't have room for any more furniture (which is exactly what he said when he saw me unloading them from my truck).



But I loved them so, and they are solid wood and oh so cute. I couldn't pass them up for $10. I admit I stood there for the longest time debating on whether to bring them home, because I didn't know where I'd put them (it's true, we don't have any more room for furniture). Then I remembered there's a perfect spot in our master bathroom between the cabinets and the tub. I can put a basket with rolled up towels on the little table and it will be perfect.

Unfortunately, our master bathroom is halfway gutted right now, so until we finish that project, I put the nesting tables in the corner of my dining room with a couple of plants on them. It works for now.



I saw this mirror at a g-sale and it was half price, so I paid $5. It's hard to tell from my picture, but it's quite large and is one of those old mirrors...you know those heavy, wood-backed mirrors that would kill you if it fell on you.



I was lucky and found another piece of vintage Pyrex. This pattern is called Town & Country. It's a large sized bowl and was only $1. Yay! I've never seen this pattern in the thrift stores.



I found two cloches and another floral frog that I'll use to make my beaded wind chimes.




Even though I was out late on Friday night, I drug my sore, tired old bones out of bed at 7am to make the schmancy neighborhood garage sale on Saturday morning. They hold it twice a year (spring and fall).

My FAVORITE find is this pair of lamps. I thought they were so cool and funky. They are glass with a neat etched pattern. It's pretty difficult to photograph these, especially with a stinking cheapo camera. I have absolutely no idea where to put these, but I had to have them. They were only $3 each. I consider my style to be eclectic, but even so, I don't know how these will fit in with my decor. Eh, what do I care, I love them! And isn't that what really matters? :)





I was able to find another piece of Fiesta. I know some folks just collect them, but I use these as my every day dishes.



I love these ceramic candlesticks. There are actually three of them, but the small one had been broken and glued back together. It's still usable, but I don't need it right now.



Not pictured: a tripod for my camera, a linen table runner that is the perfect shade of green for fall ($2.50), a super cool pearly-type beaded scarf-style wrap necklace (love my description, don't you?), a Nordic Track that hubs has been wanting forever (got that for $10...he's used it twice, so I guess we've already gotten our money's worth..ha), a smaller camera bag for $1, and some really cute clothes...too many to take pics of...

Did you have any luck this week thrifting?

14 comments:

Nori said...

I love all of your finds, but those lamps are AWESOME! Great job!

Ally's Corner said...

You got some great finds, love the tables.
I'm sure I miss some great deals at yard sales because I can't get up and out early enough.

Candy Allen - Junk Sophisticate said...

Boy, you definitely had your thrifty moments! Love the tables and the lamps the most but think you did amazing on your eclectic finds. Nice going!
Candy - AKA Junk Sophisticate

Unknown said...

great finds I think my sister has those lamps. My mom has a set of Fiesta ware and we use it all the time!

Good job it was worth getting up at 7

Unknown said...

I loveeeee those nesting tables!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

I love the tables...so cute! Great idea looking for boots at thrift stores. I'm going to have to try a few places.

Kb_Mal said...

I'm so impressed with all of these finds! My husband would have said the same things about the nesting tables (though, like you, I would have bought them, too). :)

Gwen said...

We had too much going on last weekend for full fledged thrifting and such. But, I did stop at one sale on Saturday morning and found a cool old wooden crate for oranges (or peaches, can't remember, need to take a pic) and some really old LARGE mason jars. not sure what I'll do with them after storage someday, but I have them!

And those candle holders are so much like one I bought at a thrift store a few weeks ago. I have it sitting in my kitchen with a pumpkin on top! LOL I need to take a pic and show you!

Shannon said...

Great finds! Those lamps are awesome!

Darlene said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love all of your yard sale items!! I love going yard saling too!! Your hubby sounds like mine when I drag something home...lol.

I read your profile and I live in Southern Oklahoma so it doesn't sound like we live too far apart! I love going to the Lewisville Mall and Grapevine Mills. Hmmmm, haven't been there in a while.

Unknown said...

You really found some cool stuff! I would have gotten those tables, too. They are really neat!

Nancy

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said...

I would have gotten the tables too, love them!

But the lamps, ohh pretty.

Leah said...

I LOVE the lamps.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and LOVE it! I also love thrifting, am a Christian, and a vegetarian (but still have to cook meat for my hubs).

I love vintage pyrex... good find!!!!

Shannon