Sunday, October 18, 2009

Frugal beauty: dry shampoo

You know how some people have combination skin? I seem to have combination hair. My scalp tends to get oily, yet the rest is dry. I've been making an effort to wash my hair every other day (instead of every day) to remedy the dryness, but then I get oiliness near my temples.

A friend of mine mentioned dry shampoo. She uses it on the days where she doesn't wash her hair. I tried it and liked it quite a bit, but at $25/small bottle, it's not something I can justify.

After doing a little research, I found that Sally Beauty Supply sells a brand called Batiste that retails for about $7/can. I've seen some good reviews and decided to try it out the other evening. I didn't have anywhere important to go, so I figured if it didn't work, I wouldn't be a huge embarrassment to myself. ;)



Since this comes in an aerosol can, it tends to come out heavily. The trick is to apply just a little at a time. Simply spray, wait a few minutes, massage in and then brush out.

Results: very pleased! My hair was instantly refreshed. So much so, that the next day I skipped washing my hair again (I had a lot of work to do around the house and was going to wait until the evening to wash) and yet it still seemed clean.

I think my friend's $25 version may have been a little bit better as far as results go, but for only $7/can, Batiste is worth it, especially if you are in a pinch and need a quick refresher.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks I have the oiliest hair and I have of trying this now I think I just might!

Shannon said...

I've never heard of this. Cool!

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

I've never heard of dry shampoo before... interesting. Nice that you found a more reasonably priced version.

Tracy said...

Oh I love this stuff! I started out with Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo (hair powder) until I discovered this stuff at my Sally's Beauty for 1/4 of the price and it works just as well! The other stuff was actually a powder you squeeze into your hair, but I think the spray is more convenient.. and it makes your hair smell great!

Treasure Finder said...

Hey,

I did have oily hair...I tried to find the article that kicked of me not wahsing my haif for almost a year.
I'm sure you are now cringing but, my hair is healthy and shiny!
I use only conditioner (look closely to make sure alcohol is not the first ingredient). If I had a picture, I'd show you!

Frugal Jen said...

Going to try that!

Kb_Mal said...

this is so good to know! I bought some Ulta dry shampoo about a year ago for $25 and was disappointed it didn't last more than about 10 uses (I have thick hair). And your recommendation has to be better than the baby powder I've resorted to!

Sunny said...

Wow! I have an oily scalp too. I have never heard of this dry shampoo stuff.

To answer your question, I did do a box! First time ever, so I was totally afraid. It shocked the pants off me at first, but has grown on me. Course, reds always fade very quickly so having faded a tad it's better. It was a fall type change...I'll be my normal color before long! ha!

Jenni said...

This is new to me~ I have never heard of dry shampoo before but how very cool! I can relate to what you said about "combination hair"~ it makes it so hard to choose shampoo/conditioner, too, because it is usually just made for one hair type. (Dry and damaged, and so forth.) What a neat idea, I think they are on to something here, and am so glad you found it for such a reasonable price! :) Have a good night!

Unknown said...

I had to laugh when I read your comment on my cottage. When you haul it off can you make sure I add my dirty dishes and laundry beofre you leave...oh and can you take a few kids while your at it...just kidding about the kids, I might miss them~ Thanks...hehe

Dina said...

Thanks for the tip. I could really use that!

Deb said...

I had to chuckle when reading this. Back in the 70's there was a product call Psssssst and it was a similar dry shampoo product. It worked pretty well. It has been discontinued for many years.

ashley d! said...

i recently started using this myself. i LOVE it! after a month or two i'm still in love! not to mention the huge volume it gives me!