Friday, August 28, 2009

Frugal beauty: face/foundation primer

Girls, here's the secret bargain of the century!

I'm always on the lookout for a good deal. If a high end product I like has a dupe, I'll always check it out. Sometimes the dupes are just as good or better. Sometimes they stink. But I'm always willing to try.

I don't always use foundation primer. That's probably because the brand I had (Bare Escentuals) just didn't work well for me, and I just didn't want to waste the money on something else that may or may not work.

Lately I've been hearing people sing the praises of Smashbox Photo Finish primer. It's all over the internet as a "must have" and is listed as one of Sephora's top picks. However at $36 for a teensy bottle, I have to say no thanks.



Being in this crazy wicked southern heat, my already oily skin doesn't hold foundation well. So I did a little research on face primers and found a product that is said to be comparable to the Smashbox Photo Finish primer, but for mere pennies.

Behold the Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. I know what you're thinking. This is not a yeast infection cream for your va-jay-jay, even though it's from Monistat. It's actually a powder gel that you can use for your bra line, thighs, or anywhere you have problems with your clothes chafing your skin.



That being said, according to several articles, the ingredients for the chafing gel are very similar to that of the Smashbox primer. The secret ingredient is the silicone (dimethicone). This lets the product smooth over your skin, filling in smaller lines and pores.

I found the Monistat Chafing Gel at Target for about $5 or $6. The other morning, I put it on before applying my foundation. The texture of the gel is very smooth and glided easily over my skin. I did read that it's better not to rub it into your skin like you would a moisturizer, simply pat or smooth over the surface or your face. My skin instantly felt smoother and soft. I didn't find the product to be greasy at all. After a few minutes, I applied my make-up as usual.

I have to tell you, this product was amazing! My make-up stayed in place all day. The oiliness I usually experience was MUCH less. In fact, I didn't notice any oiliness until the very end of the day. I have a small smile line starting on the one side of my mouth, and my make-up usually creases in there. When using the chafing gel, it did not.

So all in all, I think this is a great primer. Before investing in an expensive brand, maybe give this one a try for yourself. It's a small investment at $5-$6 and if it works for you, you'll be thrilled!

20 comments:

Kelli said...

I went into Sephora looking for something different. I use a liquid powder from Clinique and wanted to try something else. The girl put this primer on my face, then brushed on some powder over it. Telling me, 'with this, you only have to put your make up one once!' Uh, I totally do that already.
Anyway.
That's a cool trick, I'll have to check it out, cause after the girl walked off, I checked the prices. $36 primer? $69 powder? No thank you.

Michele said...

Oh my, I'm gonna have to check this out...thanks for the info! I don't wear that much make-up, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why my face is breaking out now at the age of 51...what the heck!!!

Have a great weekend!
Hugz,
Michele

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you posted this when you did. I recently sampled the MAC brand of primer and I loved how much of a difference it made. My face even cleared up a it. I was planning on purchasing the expensive bottle- but now im thinking ill try this! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Wow, who would've thought?
I'll try it too...

Shell in your Pocket said...

Have you tried the clear foundation from philosophy? almost the same thing as Smashbox but a bit different!
sandy toe

Annette said...

Yes, I can attest to this also! I have been using the Monistat as a primer for over a year now and it still works great.

Shannon said...

I love finding cheap comparable products too! I will definitely be giving this a try.

Sunny said...

You're so funny - va jay jay - ha ha! I have oily skin too and it's always such a pain in the humid summers! Well, I live in Florida on the coast, so when is it NOT humid?!?

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the review. I'm one who uses the Smashbox. And yea, it's a really great product. But lots of buxx! I'm all for saving money so I'm glad you posted about this! Thanks bunches!

Nancy ♥

Gwen said...

I had read something like this a few months ago, but just kept doing my thing. I recently bought my first ever mineral makeup and have been hesitant to use it because my starter kit didn't come with a primer. I may have to try this!

Sami said...

I'm going to be checking this one out. I have been looking for an less expensive primer. Thanks.

Sami

Moore Minutes said...

Hi there! I found your blog through Brandi at Betterthancandy. :) I'm enjoying it a lot and am a new follower! Also, this post is too funny because just a couple weeks ago I posted a similar one!

http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/07/airbrush-your-face-girls-works-for-me.html

Anyways, I really am loving your blog.
Thank you,
Lisa

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Love when you can get a bargain and it work just as well. Women have been using preparation H for years to lift and shrink - so to say- areas other than their hemmoroids! I'll be looking for this stuff- and not for my va-jay-jay. Love the Grey's reference.

Bug, Bear, and Bo said...

I had no idea there was even something to help your makeup stay on! I will have to try this. My makeup always looks gone within a hour or two. Gotta love that Texas heat.

Audreya said...

Hi! I found your blog from Kelli's and Liz's. I wanted to try the Smashbox primer as well but couldn't justify the cost. I started using one from Sally Hansen (at CVS as part of the "Inspired By Carmindy" line) about a year ago and have been pretty happy with it. However, there is not a CVS near me, so I have to go to great lengths to get more. Now I will have to try the Monistat. I already have a tube of it that I used for its intended purpose when we went to Vegas a few months ago. (After quite a bit of convincing that it would not turn him into a woman, my husband used it too and had good results.) :-) Maybe it's the new wonder product!!

Jill said...

I read about this somewhere else, too! I just worry it would make my face break out. But, I guess a $6 zit is a lot better than a $36 one, huh? :)

the undomesticated wife said...

Has anyone tried it yet? What did you think? I think it's amazing, I can't stop talking about it!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I always get the smashbox primer as samples in Sephora. I love it, but it is just too expensive for me to purchase. I will have to check out the monistat stuff!

Tiffany @ Mine Are Spectacular! said...

WOW!! So awesome of you to share this... I can't wait to try it out!!

Thanks!!

Johann The Dog said...

Oh wow, this is going to be weird but I have to tell my Mum about this. Walking us three to four miles every day she could use something to keep the chafing away :) Good find!

BOL!!! Johann