Monday, August 24, 2009

Who let the dogs out?

Woof woof woof woof.

That song is stuck in my head. And now, probably yours too.

This weekend we had a cold front come through (that's what the weatherman called it), and since it was a frosty 95 degrees outside, we figured it would be the perfect time to take Cissy to the newish dog park.

One of my missions for this year was to get my city to open a dog park. I know of the perfect place. I just need to get on that. {note to self}

There are a few dog parks within a reasonable distance, but honestly, they are almost far enough that it's a pain. A few months back, the suburb south of us opened up a dog park...in a shopping center parking lot. I know it sounds weird, but it's actually pretty ideal. It's only about 5 minutes from our house. And when they were planning it, they left a 2 acre patch of grass and trees in the parking lot for this park. There are lots of benches, clean up stations (dog poo bags, Purell for our hands), and did I mention, tons of trees? That alone makes it worth going to this one instead of the others where you're hot as blazes with no protection.

The dogs were so quick, it was hard to get a good picture of any of them. They were well behaved (except the one little mutt who wouldn't stop humping Cissy...and the owners didn't try to control him...that's the only thing that gets on my nerves at the dog park). Cissy was very good, too. I was proud of her. There was one creep of a guy who was ugly to a few teenagers, but they remained very respectful to him (though I'd have stood up and said something to him had I know they didn't know him). I think he might have had some mental issues, so it was best that I kept my trap shut.

I'll share some of my favorites from yesterday.



{handsome feller who knew lots of hand signals}















{hubs trying to get Cissy to chase her ball...she was really more interested in the other people and sniffing every tree in sight}



{this little 3-legged german shepherd was the fastest dog there!}



{"ready to go home momma"}




{"I got my exercise for the day"}




{"is it ok if I take a power nap back here?"}

*I just realized this is my 100th post. I've been blogging for almost a year. Just goes to show I can yap about a lot of crap! ha!*

21 comments:

Kelli said...

Fun! We don't have any dog parks around here, but luckily we have some big stretches for the dogs to run!
Why do dogs always look like their smiling? Always happy?
(And, yes, we're just painting the brick and leaving the stone. We always intended to paint the brick, but are just now getting around to it.)

Unknown said...

I so wished we had a dog park Dixie really needs to run but the closes one in 45 minutes away!

Ally's Corner said...

We have a dog park that opened close to our home but I can't take our dogs because we have dogs that are pain.

I love it that your dog likes to ride so cute.

Ally

Joanna said...

That looks like tons of fun! We don't have any dog parks around here...Of course I am not sure we would take our dog since she already runs around and plays a lot, but boy would it be fun to just go to one...It would be like going to the zoo (well dog zoo) for the girls!

Unknown said...

Congrat's on 100 blog post...you go girl~

Lucky in Love said...

How cute! I love the doggie park!

Sunny said...

I would love to take my doxies to the dog park, but they cannot be trusted! Simon can be so over-protective and aggressive around others. Makes me too nervous for what would happen. Cissy is so cute with her little pink tongue hanging out. She looks like she had a great time.

Dina said...

unfortunately, my dog would be the humping dog.

Gwen said...

We've never taken Sam and B-dawg to a dog park. There aren't any near us. There is one on post, but that's thirty miles away. I opt out. They'd be snots though. They are antisocial. LOL

Unknown said...

Have a great day!!

Nicole said...

You would know what Potato shoes were if you saw them. They are just those Berkinstock type shoes, flat, leather and tan with a buckle and cork looking sole. So comfy!
Nicole

Barbara said...

hello, I am glad to find another Texas blogger. I have a list of Texas blogger on my blog and I will add you. I would also appreciate knowing about any others.

Thanks,
Barbara

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I love dog parks. We have a large state park that has a big lake on it and they fenced in some of the land for pups.

I know SOME dressers look good... mine is a stand up one that holds clothes though. If it looked like a buffet, I'd be happy with it.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the comment about healthy foods. Can you shoot me a "typical" smoothy recipe? I'm not a big ice cream eater, but my husband sure is. This would be a great alternative. Thanks!

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

How fun! We don't have any dog parks where we live, I wish we did! Cissy is so cute! I love the pics of her in the car!

beachvintage.com said...

Happy 100th post to you. Congrats!

Michele said...

I just found your blog, but for the life of me I can't remember how! Oh well, I'm glad I did! I love all the pictures of the dogs at the park...Cissy is such a cutie pie! I have a little pom, Bear, who is so afraid of every animal...he's such a fraidy cat! I'm going to add you to my favorites so I can visit often. I was going to add myself as a follower, but can't find the button on your blog!

Hugz,
Michele

marmoy said...

I just want a doggie:(

marmoy said...

I just want a doggiw

Candy Allen - Junk Sophisticate said...

How neat! Thanks for all the doggie photos. We are having serious discussions about getting a dog in the spring. Have wanted one for a long time and I believe we will all be ready to welcome one in our home. So sweet!
Candy - Junk Sophisticate

Anonymous said...

Aw Cissy is SO CUTE! LOve her SmiLe :D I can't wait till I can get a Moodle (Maltese Poodle X)...but I have to wait :( we already have 2 pets!

I've never heard of a dog-park in a parking lot...THAT DOES sound quite ideal. It definitely beats dogs sitting in the hot cars...I mean it would be a great treat for them, for when you're done shopping :)