Friday, February 20, 2009

A new project: glass garden totems

*Linking up with DIY day on A Soft Place to Land since I have nothing craftworthy this week to share*

About 10 years ago, I started reading a garden forum. I've never claimed to have a green thumb, but I still try my best, and most of all, I love seeing pictures of everyone else's gardens. On this forum, there are some great folks with lots of ideas to make their gardens more fun. Some people are so keen and can whip up beautiful creations out of common household junk! So very inspiring!

One of my goals while being on this "paid vacation" has been to tackle some projects that I never had time to do before.

Starting with garden totems.

I love these. I think they are so funky and fun, and such a great way to recycle/repurpose/reuse (my motto). I mean, who doesn't have cabinets full of old vases, candles holders and such that you can't seem to get rid of, but have no intention of using?

And this is how we get garden totems! Fun "pretties" to sparkle among the flowers and shrubs. When the sunlight hits them, they shine.

Here are the four I made last week.









These are so much fun to make, and they go pretty quickly. I've hit a few thrift stores looking for more glass, so I'm hoping to make a few more this weekend. I'll try to get some pictures of these out in the yard if the sun decides to come out.

Also, I noticed I lost a follower. :(

I have more projects to share soon, once I can get some pictures taken. Happy weekend! :)

26 comments:

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Those are cool!

And I can't believe that daycare cost $1000 a month, but I knew things would vary from city to city, state to state. I'm guessing though, that teachers make more there too... If it cost that much here, I'd definitely be a stay at home mom!

Nancy Bane said...

WOW! I love the garden totems...I think my faves are the red one and the blue one. Very cool...

Ally's Corner said...

That is very cool. I love seeing fun things.

Lucky in Love said...

How neat! Looks like you've been busy!

Bonhomie said...

Those are beautiful! Dave's Garden Forum?? If not, check it out - I used to spend HOURS on there!

Shannon said...

I've never heard of those! They look so pretty! I love those!!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Can you give us a hint about what you used?

Candy Allen - Junk Sophisticate said...

Very cool and right up my alley! If you're into birds, invert one of the plates and place some bird seed on it. (Make sure it's stable so they won't knock it over though.

Looks like a nifty little business for you too. :)
Have a great weekend!
Candy

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I have never seen anything like that before. How incredibly neat!

So sorry you lost a follower. I'm always scared someone is going to leave me. So sorry friend.

The Blonde Duck said...

I saw you around and wanted to say hi! Those totems are gorgeous!

Kaitlyn said...

These are so great-- I love that you did different colors :)

Gwen said...

You already know I love these and think they are so cool.

I need to make some for moms for Mother's Day.

Our Complete Family said...

Oh my gosh these are DARLING! You did a great job on them! I can't wait to see them out and about in your yard when it warms up!
Cute, cute, cute miss crafty!
Happy week ahead wishes to you~ Les

Lorie said...

Those are so SO fun!! What a cute idea!

Try not to stress about the Followers!! They will come and go and it may have nothing to do with you or your blog. Maybe they are trying to spend less time on line and you have such a wonderful blog that they can't resist checking it all the time, so they had to let you go because you were too great!

And I am a new follower, so you got one back! ;D

Lorie said...

And the middle glass in the top totem is identical to the glasses my grandmother had and we used for EVERy holiday! Where did you find it?

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Those are so beautiful. Who came up with this amazing idea? I'm also wondering if they are permanently put together and if so, what kind of adhesive?
Great job!!!

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Those are really cool! And I love all your photos...

Anonymous said...

Very cool. And you may have lost a follower, but you just gained a new one!

Unknown said...

That's very creative! I love it when people repurpose.

Nancy

Sarah said...

so super creative. i would have never looked at glassware and thought to turn it into something so wonderful. bravo!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

don't you find that totems are terribly addicting? I've made many, but I've only sold a few. People around here, just don't get them.
I have several in my yard, and my friend has gotten many from me for her family.
Your totems are very pretty!
you can check mine out at my blog.
gail

Unknown said...

That is so ah-dorable we are making some right now!

lynlee47 said...

I made some things like this awhile back, but once they were out in the weather they fell apart. What type of adhesive do you use?

Jenn said...

Love, love love these....I too make them, but never placed rebar through them. Do you do this on all of yours? Also, what type of glue do you use? Silicone? How do you drill holes in the bowls, plates, vases, etc.?

Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

I just started making my totems today - then saw yours - they are so fun whimsy! Keep up the thrift shop searching!

Unknown said...

O.m.g My Co-worker does those glass garden totems but made with plates. beautiful work very inspiring. Im going to try them myself👍