Monday, October 6, 2014

Easy envelope pillow covers

Like most people, I have several perfectly good throw pillows that no longer match my decor. And while there are some really gorgeous ones out in the stores, I don't want to shell out $30/each for new ones, either.


I found some funky fabric at Hancock that was calling to me. I love funky, unusual things in my eclectic decor, and this white denim with gold foiling fit the bill. I wouldn't normally look twice at something like this, but it kind of reminded me of cowhide while still remaining animal friendly :).


I removed the red silk covers and then sewed envelope pillow covers for the down pillow forms. I wanted them to look a bit nicer, so I added black piping. Believe it or not, as many projects as I've sewn over the years, I've never sewn piping. It was a bit tricky figuring out how to connect the end pieces, but once I did, it was easy. I put them in the corner of the pillow so they wouldn't be as noticeable.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I'd like to eventually have our monogram embroidered in the middle with black thread. I think that would be a fun touch.


I'm not sure where I'll put them, but they are neutral enough to go anywhere in the house. Right now they are sitting on my extra dining chairs that I have flanking the table in my foyer.


Have you worked on any sewing projects lately?





No comments: