Thursday, January 7, 2010

Debbie Downer



Well folks, I've been quite the Debbie Downer lately, been in a huge funk, so I've stayed away from the blogs as to not spread my funkiness. I'm so frustrated about not being able to find a job. There's so very few things out there for me apply to in my field. When I do find something fitting, I apply. Then I receive the dreaded "thanks but no thanks" emails. I just don't get it. Some of these jobs I could do in my sleep. What's frustrating is that it seems 10+ years of experience and an education mean nothing these days. *sigh* The stress of it all is weighing so heavily on me. I'm having trouble sleeping. I feel like I'm losing my sanity. It's creating tension between the hubs and me. I feel desperate and, sometimes, hopeless.

But then reality hits. I realize that as bad as I feel like things are, it's really nothing compared to the struggles others are going through. A sweet blogger friend, Lindsay, is having to deal with some major health scares right now, and yet her attitude and faith shine. My friend Diana lost her sweet 10 year old daughter this year to brain cancer. And so on...there are so many folks struggling out there, struggling with things that I can't even imagine. That's when I need to step back and thank God for blessing us. Times are tough for a lot of people. Some people share, others don't.

I know God has a plan for all of us. Sometimes it's realized sooner than later. Sometimes it's not. What's important is to keep in mind that there is a plan, have faith, and keep a shining attitude. I'm thankful for the lessons I've learned from others who are struggling. That alone is a huge blessing.

13 comments:

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but you are right about having a bigger plan out there for you. And as for the jobs, my hubby and I have our fair share of the "thanks but no thanks" emails/calls. We always felt that we had more experience/knowledge than those hiring us, which could have been the problem. Good luck and I hope you find something soon!

Gwen said...

And you've been sick on top all those cruddy feelings as well, right? I hope you're feeling better in that regard. I think your outlook is a good one. Through the fog, there is light, it is just dim sometimes. :(

((((Mushy hugs))))

Ally's Corner said...

It took my husband 15 months to find the job he is at now. Don't know if you remember but he took a low paying job after 7 months. That job gave him experience in the field that lead to the one he has now. Without taking that low paying job he would never had been able to apply for this one. We call his job a "blessing" job. There was tension between us. He was always the number two man on many jobs and we never understood. Our pastor kept telling us your job is out there but it's in God's time not yours. This was hard to hear we needed it now. But he was right,This is a perfect job for my husband he loves it as they love him. We still can't believe he is working where he is. Your job will come and maybe your job loss is not as bad as other lives right now but this journey is what God wants you to walk. Because of our job loss I can't even begin to tell you the path we are on for the good now because of it. There are so many things we would have never changed if my husband would not have lost his job. Your job will come it will.

Ally

AJ said...

Awwww, hugs to you GA!! You know we've been through the same things over here! I'm praying for you. Hang in there and if you ever need to talk, you know where to find me:)

Nicole said...

I am so sorry you are feeling low. Chin up, girl! God has a purpose for you right now, where you are. Isn't that irritating? Embrace it, friend! It's only for a time.
Nicole

Shannon said...

My husband is going on 3.5 months without a job (no where near how long you have been waiting) so I can understand some of your feelings. There is definitely some tension when we start to think that we will have a baby in 10 weeks. We have been having so much fun together though. It seems like it couldn't be a worse time or a more perfect time. We are enjoying these last few months of just us. :)

Anonymous said...

always in my thoughts and prayers! xo.

Unknown said...

Oh I hope things get better soon!

{{hug}}

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Oh friend, I wish I could wave a wand and give you the job of your dreams. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this right now. I'll be praying for the tension that this is causing in your marriage. That's got to be really tough. You've got my prayers chicka.

And on a totally different note - Debbie Downer is one of my favorite SNL skits. I could laugh my head off at her all day.

Kelli said...

I'm sorry. I know it's tough, our field is so competitive. This may sound like a silly suggestion, but are you on Twitter? There are tons of ad people on Twitter and we all talk. They are constantly updating people on available jobs. And, if you're Twitter friends with them, you have a better chance. I actually talked to a woman at CP&B that needed a writer a few months back (Um, I'm not moving to Colorado!)
And check out "Pleasefeedtheanimals.com.

Sunny said...

I tend to draw into myself, too, when I feel funky. Like it's a disease and I don't want to spread it. There have been past friend's of mine that couldn't handle it and dropped me like a bad habit because they didn't want to look at things that might not be pretty and pleasant. It's life though! Being hurt by friends like this, it caused me to withdraw so as to not lose others I love. All that to say, I'm challenging myself to push through and reach out in spite of it. I hope you can too. True friends will lift you up when you need it. Hang in there! God does have your plan mapped out!

Kelly Loy Gilbert said...

It's good to keep things in perspective like that--even when things are really tough, there's still so much we have to be thankful for. Still, life isn't always easy, and my heart goes out to your friends! And to you--hope things are looking up very soon.

DD and FF said...

Hang in there! Things will get better. FF is in the same position at the moment.Sometimes its good to be forced to stop and re-evaluate what is important.
(I say that now, but, o boy, I don't handle misfortune vvery gracefully)
Next year, this time,you will look back and smile..