Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recycle old pillows: no sew dog bed (or floor pillows for the kids)

Remember the no sew fleece blankets that were all the range a few years ago (I still have mine and love them...the dogs even have smaller versions, too)? This project is a spin-off from those. Here's a great way to recycle some old pillows you may have, you know, the ones that are flat and have lost their shape. We all have them tucked away in a closet somewhere! I have to warn you, the pictures came out dark for some reason. I hope you can still see.



I started by throwing them in the washer and dryer to freshen them up and get them somewhat fluffy again.

Next, take a yard of fleece and fold it in half, cutting along the fold so you have two separate pieces. I'd have preferred to use brown fleece, but since this bed is for my 15-year old dachshund, and she's almost completely white now, I knew the brown wouldn't work as well because she sheds so much...I didn't want the bed to look like it had a fur coat on. ha!



Start by cutting a 4" square from each of the four corners.



Then cut 1" wide strips all the way around.



Once you've cut strips all the way around, begin tying knots from the back and front pieces. I doubled-knotted mine because I know my dogs will scratch and dig at the pillow to make it just the right degree of comfiness, but I'm sure a single knot would be fine, too.



Tie knots all the way around, leaving enough space to stuff your pillows inside. You have two options at this point. You can leave the knots showing on the outside. This looks nice, like fringe. Or, you can turn the fleece inside out so the knots are on the inside, then stuff your pillows. Knot the remaining strips, and tuck inside (if you aren't leaving fringe on the outside).







{Join the DIY party and share your latest projects at Kimba's!}

31 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Oh this is great! Your doxie is so sweet. Our doxie Rudi says "Hi!"

Carrie said...

I love the look of the knots from the inside....hhmmm....what could I use this for????

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Unknown said...

good idea Sadie and Dixie would love this

Joanna said...

Your so creative! I would have never thought to do this!

I will have to do this!

Lucky in Love said...

I love the way this looks with the knots on the inside!!

I have to admit...I made my husband one of these blankets...and my dad...and my sister for Christmas one year :) They still all use them though, and they are really warm :)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I never thought of tucking the strips inside--I like the way that looks a lot!

~ Sarah

erin said...

cute dog bed idea. I love how you describe yourself as Carrie Heffernan and not Carol Brady. Great blog.

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I did the same thing last summer and my dogs love it! I had bought a GIANT feather pillow (as in the size of a twin bed) from an auction for $5 and then bought doggie fleece (1/2 off of course). Gotta love cheap things!

Gina said...

What a great idea, I've done this before but never thought of turing the knots inside. It looks great that way!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Super idea! I need to make one of these for my MIL's doggie.

Nicole A. said...

Ohhh I have to try this! This is so awesome and looks easy enough for me! Love this, Thanks for sharing!

Nissa said...

What a great idea! I love that it's a no-sew project too.

Sabrina said...

love this idea. I am definitely going to be copying this. Thanks for sharing.

Ally's Corner said...

Love this how cute. I have never seen this before.

Ally

Anonymous said...

great idea... looks so cozy too!!!

are my feeds still not showing up for you?

chicroses said...

Just disciovered your blog. Love the pillow for your doggie. Your other baby looks jealous. Our baby Hank just passed away a couple months ago..so when seeing other dogs my heart skips a beat. Your sofas look great in your room. We have the same color paint and trim..looking for a new sofa...I will come back..sally

Candy Allen - Junk Sophisticate said...

Everyone has those flat pillows you just don't know what to do with. Fantastic idea!

Stacie said...

Oohh, I have seen these blankets but never thought to do this in a pillow--very cool!

chicroses said...

Me again. Thanks for your comment on my blog.So sweet. Hank hated to lay on pillows but would put his paws up on one and suck on his baby (stuffed ape) against one like the one you made. Im just hoping I can keep up posting on my blog. Now that I can find my pictures easier I hope I can find the time. HattieJane takes up alot of my time. Hugs Sally

Kim said...

Love this idea! Thanks!

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

I made those fleece blankets for my family 2 Christmas' ago. My hands felt like they were gonna fall off. Never thought to turn it inside out, love how it looks like a braided edge. will have to consider this project, especially since I've got 2 pups and 2 cats :)

JudiW said...

I would suggest you use old pillow cases as covers on your dog bed pillows. They are much easier to change, de-hair and clean. The bed itself may need a clean once in awhile but not nearly as often as the cover.
I do this for my cat beds and it works great.

Lara Harris said...

I think this might actually be something I could do!Thanks for posting it!:o)

Britt said...

This is so smart! I might have to try this! Thanks for sharing.

Paz123 said...

How nice pictures!! This dog bed is looking so nice and comfortable!! I got a new dog bed from Petco...

BonBonChihuahuas said...

We also use the pillow cases over dog beds. Trust me, we use LOTS of them!
We also cut three long strips (depends on the size of your dog) of fleece, tie a knot at one end, braid the rest and then another knot at the other end. They go NUTS over these! Mixing three different prints for this looks cute!

Carla said...

I love the "Jealous" arrow! Think I'm going to copying this. Great post.

Unknown said...

I loved this idea so much that I made one for my doggie! He LOVES it! and I stuffed it really full for him. Thanks so much for this great no sew doggie bed idea!!

the undomesticated wife said...

That's awesome! It's a great way to recycle those nasty pillows we all have in a closet somewhere. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. I will be getting a smaller pillow for my puppy for her kennel, and will be doing this method for the outside. ANother great idea is to put a waterproof pillow cover over the pillow inside (if you have a puppy or an older pup who has bladder problems).

Sunrise said...


Are you looking for the cute gift ideas for dog lovers? Visit Doggie of the Day to find the gift for dog lover. We are online dog gift store you can get popular dog paintings, ornaments, doormats, canvas art and dog themed gifts at very affordable price.